The role of the facilitator is to guide the group through a decision-making process, without taking sides or dictating the outcome. An effective and productive facilitated session involved many steps and below are some of the most critical a facilitator looks into:
Pre – Session:
- Understand the purpose of the meeting and the desired outcome.
- Reach an agreement with the client on the deliverable.
- Learn about the group’s history, culture, dynamics, leadership style and preferences.
- Design a process to help the group achieve the desired outcome.
- Uphold the core practices of facilitation
- Ensure dialogue and discussion is relevant to the desired outcome
- Intervene when necessary and manage conflict constructively.
- Remain flexible and adapt process to match changing dynamics.
- Help build consensus towards group decisions.
Post – Session:
- Follow up on tasks
- Obtain feedback for personal improvement
- Maintain client and content confidentiality